Saturday, December 11, 2010

Rooftop and Sunset

Friday morning the temps were in the low 50’s but forecasted to hit the mid 70’s. My goal for the day is to wash the roof of the rig. The roof is a rubber material called EDPM (Ethylene-Propylene-Diene-Monomer). It is a fairly thin sheeting of rubber that is laid over the roof sheeting on the RV. The only maintenance that is required is that you wash it a couple of times a year. It is suppose to last for 10 to 15 years. I have not done it since we started on the road and it was over due. We bought a small soft bristle brush on a broom stick and some Spic and Span. You would not think that Spic and Span would be that hard to find. It is! We looked at Wal-mart, Fry’s, Target, Safeway to no avail. Believe it or not we finally found it at a Ace Hardware. We wanted to use Spic and Span because that is what the manufacturer of the EDPM material suggested.

I grabbed my bucket, garden hose and brush and the Spic and Span and headed for the roof of the RV. The roof was pretty dirty but not excessively so. I started at the front and worked my way back cleaning as I went. The slide awnings were pretty dirty as well and I was able to reach them with the brush and scrubbed them as well. The EDPM material is very slick especially when wet with water and soap. It took me a couple of hours to get the roof done and by the time I got down I decided the rest of the rig was going to wait for another day. I sometimes forget that I am retired and I can wash it on another day. No sense in over doing it!

Notice I started with the dish first! Maybe it will help my Chiefs look better.

image002

After I got the roof done I took a break under the awning. Right outside our door and just off our patio is a nice little Tangerine tree. The Tangerines are getting good and ripe and I can not resist picking and eating a few everyday. The Tangerines would be bigger if the RV park would take care of the trees better and give them more water. Right now I am in the right place at the right time and can get all the free tangerines I can eat.

image001

Since we have been here in Arizona I have been wanting to get some sunset pictures but have not had a chance. Staying in an RV park that is in the city does not give me too many opportunities. It seems that every time we were out around sunset we were either in the city, In a restaurant or back at the rig or I did not have my camera. We decided to drive to a city park about 3 miles from our RV park and see what kind of sunset we would get. Also I wanted to try different settings on the camera to see what would work best. The view from the park itself is not as impressive as in other area’s but it was close by and convenient

Here are a few samples with the same view with different settings.

image036

image076

image080

image103

 

My pictures do not do the scene that we had justice. I have a lot to learn to capture as much color as possible. Which is a challenge for a guy that is color blind. I can see color, just not the different shades of a color. My oranges and reds and blues and greens can look the same to me. Max will come to my rescue if I get my colors too mixed up. Lets just say that I was not allowed to work with the kids on learning their colors.

After the sun went down we headed back to the rig and played a few hands of cards. It was Max’s night and she soundly beat me. We called it a night with plans to enjoy the 80 degree weekend coming up.

1 comment:

Dave said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.