Saturday, February 19, 2011

Glasses, Ice Cream and Taxes


Wednesday was cloudy but warm. I needed to see about getting some new glasses since I damaged mine while visiting the hot tub Tuesday night. The chemicals must have melted the protective film on the left lens. I can still use them but it is like looking through a big smudge spot.

I called the last eye doctor I went to back in Indiana to see if my prescription was still good. It was not, so I had to schedule an appointment.  The closest place I could get into was about 45 miles away at a Walmart with a Dr.s office next door. It was a late afternoon appointment so we had plenty of time to get there. After the exam we went next door to Walmart to order the glasses. The last pair I bought I had vision insurance which cut the cost in half.  I was not happy having to spend $500 on a pair of glasses. I did pick out a pair that had a little bit bigger lens and with the transitions to sun glasses for riding on the motorcycle.

Hopefully the new glasses will get in before we leave on March 1st. If not we will have to have them mailed ahead of us some place. After the exam we went to a Mexican restaurant that was close by. It was called Los Cobo’s and it was pretty good. This was the first Mexican restaurant that we have been to that served the salsa warm. It was yummy!

On Thursday we had plans to go to the Bluebell Creamery to have a plant tour. We have seen Ice cream made before at Eddy’s where our oldest son David use to work. I wanted to see it the method was the same. Well okay that, and they gave free samples at the end of the tour.

Blue Bell Creamery is based in Brenham Texas, which was about a hour ride north from our campground. The tour started at 11:00 am. We got there a little early and browsed the gift shop. The tour started with a short film about the history of the creamery.

It started in 1907 by selling butter made from the cream that was bought by local farmers.  Then the company was called the Brenham Creamery Co. A few years later, the creamery began making ice cream and delivering it to neighbors by horse and wagon. It was in 1930 that the company changed its name to Blue Bell Creameries after the native Texas bluebell wildflower.

We were not able to actually go on the production floor but they had hallways above the floor where we could look down on the process. It was a lot like the process at Eddy’s except on a smaller scale. They only run an eight hour shift then stop and all of the equipment is torn down and cleaned, reassembled and ready for production at 5:00am the next day. They do not work weekends.

The most interesting statistic for us was that it took 50,000 cows a day to supply them with the milk they need for a days run. That is a lot of cows.

We could not take pictures inside but I was able to get one of their first refrigerated trucks that was parked in the courtyard.


After the tour we were treated to a sample cup of Ice Cream. I chose the Pecan Praline and Cream and Max chose the Butter Pecan. It was very, very good.

After the tour we headed back to the campground and enjoyed a chili dinner at the club house. The dinner was provided by a couple that travel in their fifth wheel and minister at various truck stops and campgrounds. There were about 30 people there and plenty of chili, corn bread and cookies and cake for desert. Another day off of the diet wagon.

Friday Max wanted to tackle the bills and get the taxes done. I decided to wash the RV. It took me most of the day to get it washed. Max finished up the taxes in the early evening and we spent the rest of the night watching a little TV.

We do not have any plans yet for this weekend. We will figure something out I am sure.

Enjoy Your Day!

No comments: