Saturday, June 16, 2012

Grandkids Arrive Safely

Blake and Gage arrived last Sunday and we have been so busy I have not had time to update the blog.

Getting to the gate to meet them was quite an adventure. We had to park the truck at a mall, walk to the Bart station, and figure out how to purchase the tickets. Getting our two tickets for the first trip was not bad. We hopped on the Bart and navigated to the airport and the United terminal. We still had two hours until they touched down.

We went to the United check in area and quickly saw that all of San Francisco was waiting in line at the United desk. We took our place in line and finally made it through with about 10 minutes to spare. Then we had to go through gate security which took another 10 minutes.

We finally got through all the checkpoints and was going as fast as we could to the gate. We did not want to have them get off and we were not there to greet  them. The airlines would have taken them to a waiting room but we did not want the boys to be afraid.

Finally we made it to the gate and found out that their plane was about 15 minutes behind schedule. That was great news, we were able to catch our breaths and watch their plane come into the gate.

The flight attendant brought the boy’s off last and we were greeted with big hugs but no kisses. The boys are just getting to old for that. Sad smile

We got their luggage and made the return trip to the truck. Buying the return tickets for the Bart was very frustrating. The instructions were not very clear between adding more money to our tickets and buying new tickets for the boy’s. Eventually we figured it all out and made it back to the truck.

The boys were non stop talking for the hour and a half drive back to the campground. We got them settled in and let them play for awhile. We then finished off the evening watching Kung Fu Panda .

Monday morning we went to Wal-mart to get groceries for the two weeks we will be at Bass Lake and Yosemite. We probably went overboard with all the snacks and stuff, but who am I to complain!

Wednesday we moved about 160 miles over to Bass Lake. The sites here are so narrow. When we get up from our picnic table we have to be careful not to bump our heads on our neighbors slide.



The boy’s have been swimming and playing with other kids in the campground. We went for a short hike to the lake and picked up a small geocache on the way.


Max and the boy’s


The boys leading the way


After our hike we took a drive around the lake and looked at some great areas for a future day trip. The boys can fish and swim in the lake and we can get the kayak out for awhile.

This weekend we plan to do campground activities and the boys want to go on some motorcycle rides. Sunday being Fathers Day the park has a cookout planned with Brats and Dogs. Dads are free so I know where I will be!

Monday we will be going on a historic steam train and try our hand at gold panning. Then we will check out some giant Sequoia trees and the southern edge of Yosemite.  Tuesday we plan on taking a day in Yosemite valley and hike a few trails and hopefully watch some rock climbers climbing on El-Capitan.

Our routine has changed a lot having the boys with us. Somehow our bedtime routine has become a midnight snackfest. Our son will have to re-program the kids once they get home Winking smile

Enjoy Your Day!



Laurie and George said...

So glad they made it there safely! You guys will have a great time..

Dan and Tricia said...

Haha - love the midnight snackfest and the fact that the son will have to get it straightened out once they are home! Enjoy your time and make great memories!

Steve and Joan said...

Great to hear you're having so much fun with the grandkids! I'm sure they will keep you hopping the next few weeks. Enjoy!

Catherine, Jo Beth and Grace said...

Sounds like good times with the Grand-parents.

Mike and Terri said...

Gosh -- getting in to pick up the boys really did sound like an adventure. Glad everything finally worked out well.