Saturday, September 21, 2013

Red Wine & Keyboards, Not A Good Match.

Sorry I have not updated the blog for so long. It is starting to be a habit letting it go for so long. The campground is finally starting to slow down during the week and Max is working in the Kiosk for two days while I am working the grounds. This time of year we start to clean all the fire pits completely even though there will still be fires in them it will go faster when all of them have to be done again at the end of the season.

The weather is getting cool at night and the lows are getting into the mid to upper 30's. We have been using the heat pump at night but it will only work down to about 40 degrees. It is time to break out the electric oil heater, it does a good job and is a lot quieter than the heat pump.

Last week I really did a bonehead thing and spilled a full glass of red wine on my laptop. I quickly powered down the pc and turned it upside down. As Max and I cleaned up the mess all I was thinking was that I have not backed up my hard drive in a very long time. I always preach that to Max to back hers up and I have not done it in ages. Lots of pictures, music and other document I really do not want to lose.

I kept it upside down all night and the next morning I started pulling it apart to clean the components and get it dried out. I then put it back together and powered it up. It started up fine until I got to where I needed to enter my password. Some of the keys on the keyboard will not work, like the all important enter key. I did pull the keyboard apart as best I could but it is sealed on the backside. I think this seal saved my hardware inside from most of the wine but my keyboard is toast.

By using Max's PC I scoured the internet and found a replacement keyboard. New they are around $165.00. I found a reconditioned one for $35.00. I am hoping that all the other hardware is okay and it is just the keyboard. The keyboard should arrive by next Monday or Tuesday. Not having my own PC available really is a pain because Max has different book marks than me. Can you believe that she does not even have anything Chiefs related in her favorites folder! I think I will start a favorites folder and hide it somewhere on her PC for future availability.

That's about it for now, back to work we go on another busy weekend.

Enjoy Your Day!

4 comments:

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

Here is hoping you get lucky with the data recovery effort:) Too bad about the glass of wine:(

Mike and Terri said...

Oooohhhh, you have our sympathy. We both dealt with various computer issues this past year. It's amazing how dependent we are on them anymore that sharing one just isn't a great option.

Catherine, Jo Beth and Grace said...

Fingers crossed that it works!

owensontheroad said...

I had to replace my keyboard this year too. It's not fun, and my '4' key still sticks!