Monday, October 18, 2010

Sure, it’s A Dry Heat!

It is a different heat here! Just think how hot it would be if it there was higher humidity.  Its a dry heat so it feels cooler! It may be 100 but it feels like 95! These are all the things I have heard about the climate in the southwest. Now that I have finally gotten to the southwest I can now make my own assumptions. Although these assumptions are made in the fall and not in the summertime.

Hot is hot. 100 degrees is 100 degrees. After being here 2 weeks I have made a decision. There is no way I would be here in July. Now, do not get me wrong. It is better than 40 degrees and a chance of snow but come on people it is October! The A/C in the rig will run non stop all day until about 8 or 9 pm. We have not gone out under the awning for the last week. Maxine is pretty comfortable but she does not have the layers of body insulation that I have. It is suppose to cool off starting early this week and be in the 80’s. I know my friends and family in Indiana are not having any sympathy for me. They would take this “Dry Heat” any day over the ice and snow that is sure to come their way. Well at least this “dry heat” will allow me to ride the wing all through the winter, and maybe by sweating for a few extra months I may loose some more of this insulation I am carrying around.

While researching the surrounding area I came across this list.

You know you're in Arizona when ...
*You no longer associate bridges (or rivers) with water.
*You can say 110 degrees without fainting.
*You eat hot chilies to cool your mouth off.
*You can make instant sun tea.
*You learn that a seat belt makes a pretty good branding iron.
*The temperature drops below 95, you feel a bit chilly. 
*You discover that you can get a sunburn through your car window.
*You notice the best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.
*Hot water now comes out of both taps. 
*You actually burn your hand opening the car door.
*You break a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:30 a.m. 
*Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and end up lying on the pavement and cook to death?"
*You realize that asphalt has a liquid state.

Yep! I think I can relate now.

The other thing that I find interesting is all of the golf carts in certain neighborhoods. You can drive a cart on any street that has a posted speed limit of 25mph or less. Plus most shopping centers and stores have dedicated golf cart parking closer than most handicap parking. These parking spots are narrower than a regular car spot.. That is pretty cool but it makes me mad when I then find a golf cart parked in a car spot when there are plenty of golf cart parking spots available. Sheesh!

I think the bottom line is that Phoenix is too crowded for me. I am use to a small town. They say it will get more crowded when all the snowbirds start arriving in Nov and Dec. Max says that I have to have more patience. She is right of course. Women go through menopause as they get older. I must be going through Grumpy Ole Manapause or something. Anyway enough of my ranting.

This last week I have been way behind in updating the blog. While we are waiting for Max’s leg to mend we are not doing to much. We have been visiting her mom and I had to replace her microwave for her and I installed some under counter lights for her. It was not a huge project but it took a few hours. I need to find some driving tours of the area so we can still see some things but Max doesn’t have to go far on the crutches.

Max has her Dr. appointment this Wednesday so hopefully we see how well she is healing. She is able to get on the bike but we have not ventured too far yet. Mainly its been too hot but the forecast is for cooler temps this week. Maybe we will take a short trip to Payson for lunch.

Sunday we stayed in all day and I watched the Chiefs game. It was a close one but the Chiefs lost in the end. The only thing that lifted my spirits after that was the pulled pork BBQ we had cooking all day. Nothing like comfort food.

Have a good Monday!

 

No comments: