Saturday, February 12, 2011

Thawing Out & Hunting The Elusive Armadillo

 

I know Dave, quit whining about the weather already. Well in my defense I was subjected to Phoenix weather in December where it was sunny, 75 degrees and no humidity. That is what I want all 12 months of the year. That is my new standard, picky aren’t I. If I find where that is at, I will let everyone know where to find me.

Friday we finally had temps above 50 degrees so we ventured out of our ice box and thawed out. We decided to walk the park grounds and see if we could track down a Armadillo. I have been wanting to get a picture of one ever since we crossed the Texas line. That and a rattlesnake.

We started out at the boat ramp at the river behind our rig. The ramp will be a perfect put in spot for our kayak.

011

Looking down river.

012

Looking up river

027

We will have about a 12 mile river run into Columbus. It should be a nice float with a gentile current. Perfect for Max to paddle me around while I fish…… Well maybe not but I am still trying!

After we watched the river for awhile we walked around the perimeter of the park. There are 260 acres here to romp around on. Most of it is pasture with a little woods mixed in here and there and an abundance of Pecan trees.

020

077

I would love to be here in the fall to be able to retrieve all the pecans. Our rig is in the middle.

023

We started walking through the tent area which was a very nice quiet walk.

056

No Armadillo’s yet but we did see some buzzards on a limb overlooking the river below.

044

The path through the tent area ended into a cul-de-sac.

058

We followed the property line around the far end of the resort. Here you can see the RV’s in one section the distance.

060

As we bopped along we would kick up a deer or two.

Max started using her stalking technics.

071

Be very… very…. quiet…..

069

Ok, we were not that quiet and we spooked her.

We followed along and ended up on a nice woodsy path which came right out close to our rig.

076

We will probably walk the perimeter as much as we can. Much to my disappointment, we did not find any Armadillos.

I have been looking everywhere for one with no success. Later in the early evening, this little guy must have felt sorry for me and decided to come find us. He was right out side the back of our rig. He was not camera shy but would not let me get too close.

082

151

146

It was fun watching him root around and dig for the grubs and ants.  Now all I have to do is find a rattlesnake and a wild boar and my “Texas Hunt”  will be complete. Although I may loose my “Hunting Partner” for those quests. Hmmmm, maybe if I can find a snake before our kayak trip, she might just think it is much safer to paddle me around in the Kayak and let me fish than to follow me through the woods. Baby steps….. baby steps…….

Enjoy Your Day!

 

1 comment:

Donna McNicol said...

Wow! And here I thought armadillos were born on the side of the road...dead! LOL! Great photos!!